St James’s Market
Re-establishing a lost market
St James’s Market was established in 1664 as a formal square and buildings for a market fair that had taken place in St James’s since 1290. Lost with the development of Regency London, the St James’s Market Partnership saw the opportunity to re-establish the area as a new West End destination, with the redesign of two central London city blocks complete new offices, retail and collection of one-off concept restaurants set around a new public square.
Our placemaking brief was to re-establish this forgotten part of St James’s and in doing so redefine the area’s eastern boundary. Bridging traditional St James’s and youthful Soho, this new West End destination’s identity combines luxury materials and production values – copper detail fixings and deckle-edged dividers – with sleek typographic reinterpretation of the visual language of markets.
Marketing materials include a set of brochures, website, marketing suite, hoardings and building wraps, and production is set to evolve as St James’s Market comes alive with new public art pavilion and calendar of events.
St James’s Market Partnership is a joint venture between The Crown Estate and Oxford Properties.